Thursday, March 31, 2005

Requiem

"I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink"
-- Matthew 25:42

My prayers are with the family of Terri Schiavo right now, as they mourn her loss. But they at least will have the comfort of knowing she is with her heavenly father and at peace.

But what of the husband? Does he feel loss right now? Does he mourn? Is any small part of his soul regretting what he set in motion?

Perhaps right now, the relief is too fresh. It's over. She's gone. He doesn't have to think about it or deal with it anymore. She's not there, drooling and making noises at him and repulsing him with how like and unlike his wife she is. He can edit his memory and only recall her young, vital, and whole. And he can go home to the arms of his other wife, his true wife, the woman who bore his children and shares his life. And perhaps he'll find comfort there.

But what about when he sleeps tonight? What about as he goes about his life tomorrow, and the next day, and the next? What of when he begins to age, and his health wanes? Will there, at some point in the future, be a moment when he questions his decision? When he wonders if it was worth it, if it was decent, if it was right?

I think I shall pray for him as well. And for his lawyer, Judge Greer, and the rest of the gang who were so zealous to kill her. Forgive them, for they know not what they do. I have to think that; because so many people I like and admire supported the killing, thought it was right and proper, ethical and humane. I have to think they didn't know any better, because what other choice do I have? Surely they cannot be so evil. I cannot love people like that, can I?

They must be misguided. They have to be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister.

When I first heard that she had died, I was REALLY ANGRY. I was inwardly ranting to God, "Make sure these people pay for what they've done; vengeance is thine, so let's see some!" etc. And then this very quiet, almost amused little feeling came into my mind:

You forget. Michael is My child, as well. I would prefer not to lose him.

It struck me very powerfully. Since then, my outlook on this case has changed. I sincerely hope Michael Schiavo, Judge Greer and the others involved in starving Terri to death have every chance to change their minds and turn away from the thing they have done. I hope we as a nation do likewise.