Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus Papam

We have a Pope. Cardinal John Ratzinger is Pope Benedict the XVI. I hadn't even realised the lack of a Pope bothered me, until the announcement came. Suddenly, a feeling of relief, a blanket of calm, fell upon me. Everything is right with the world, the Church is whole. Everything is proceeding according to God's plan, God's will. It is a very reassuring sensation.

The crowds look so joyful on the television. I would give anything to be in Rome right now. Their enthusiasm is contagious.

I wonder what sort of Pope he will be? He looks very vital, for all his advanced years. I've just read his homily from Sunday, and he impresses me mightily with his language. He's a very persuasive writer, and I imagine he must be eloquent in his speaking.

Today is a good day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like I told you in IM, I loved the bit of footage of a group of young priests who looked, for all the world, as if they were at a rock concert.

The enthusiasm of the crowd really is quite contagious.